Blogging and other Social Networking Platforms are integral to Good Communication Skills?

Thursday 13 February 2014

Adding It All Up

Adding It All Up

Dr. Ashok Chauhan founder president of Amity University, Prof. Balvinder Shukla (acting) vice chancellor, members of the faculty, parents and my dear graduates, I would like to thank all of you for being a part of the convocation ceremony.

So here we are. We’re leaving college. The question is where from here? Some students know the answer. Many of us claim to know exactly the next step to take, whether that step is an internship, a full-time job, or joining his/her father’s business. Others, like me, will tell you we have no idea. The big thing about the college is that we learn about our self. No matter whatever we decide, most of us will agree that Amity was a perfect place to foster our minds and bodies in this critical learning phase.

I’m a totally different person than I was coming in as a freshman four years ago. I hope I’m also a better one. I was moulded by my environment, by all my peers who are sitting here and watching me. I couldn’t have accomplished so much here without all of you. It was all of you who were my competition a very tough competition by the way, yet my backbone, my inspiration to work harder. It was all of you who made me the person I am today.

One thing that motivated me here throughout these four years was struggle. It was the second time that I left my home to do something different. I left home first for only nine days but leaving home for four years frightened me day in day out. Also the alienated feeling I had when I stepped in this University even on home soil had an greater effect. This led to many verbal as well as physical fights in first year of my college. At times I went home purposely to calm my mind. By the time I reached second year I managed to overcome some of this feeling but as you know home is home. No matter where you go the final place to go will be your home. There were up’s and down’s in third and fourth year but now I realised that it was something for my own good.

Struggle taught me things about myself that I could have learned no other way. I discovered that I had a strong will, and more discipline than I had suspected. The knowledge that I gained from these setbacks helped me to climb one step up in my ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more than any qualification I ever earned.

One advice I want to give you all is that not to feel regret of what you have done in the past because I have done a lot really stupid things like pulling the fire alarm in third year for which I was nearly suspended and was teased afterwards every time a fire alarm was raised, going to places of which I didn’t imagine ever to go there in my life, boarding the train without ticket in which Amity also played a big role etc. And now at this stage those things don’t bother me because what matters me that when I look back and imagine those things I feel glad that I have done those kind of stuffs.

Stepping into the world outside college will be like stepping onto a bus say around 9:30 am, the journey will be slow, it’s going to be crowded and above all more competitive. This degree that I have in my hand is nothing compared to all the memories that Amity has given, and I am sure you all feel the same. So thank you Amity for giving me opportunity to be part of this great University and these four years will surely occupy a decent space in my heart and will motivate me to do things for the greater good.

Thank you and God bless you all.



3 comments:

  1. That was very nicely put, Shukla. I liked the bit about struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very nice and well formed article Shukla. I can relate to a lot of things you have written. Best of luck for the times ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of the most genuine person I have ever seen. The Fire Alarm scene was magical :p. Best of luck for your future :)

    ReplyDelete