Blogging and other Social Networking Platforms are integral to Good Communication Skills?

Thursday 20 February 2014

When four years are like a few days

Respected faculties and my fellow classmates, a very good morning to you. Standing before you is a rush of mixed emotions. With the feeling of disbelief that this day finally arrived along with the happiness of being able to use Er. before my name, this day has it all. Four years of this journey have been life changing for me. In the thread of my life, I added some wonderful beads of memories in these years. May 2010, around this very time I entered the college for the interview. As I remember asking the college students at that time regarding the eating joints available to us, I realise how far I have come. 

First semester was a total turmoil for me. From being totally dependent on the parents for every single need I was all by my self here. It was like being thrown from a swimming pool to an ocean. I learnt a very important lesson at that time, making friends is easy but retaining them is tough. In other words one can say that not everyone you think is your friend. Moreover, to my fellow mates who find humour by making fun and getting themselves mocked in a healthy manner, DO NOT attempt it elsewhere. I found it the hard way. Back in my home town, everyone laughed at the jokes that used them as a base punchline and you were expected to do the same when you are the victim of the humour. The culture difference was way more than my expectation here. Instead of laughing, people here stored all those jokes deep in their memory and planned an appropriate revenge thereafter. In a different story altogether, I'd like to mention that EVS class in which Nidhi Gaubha Madam made me CR of the class accidentally. Now, to all those who think CRs enjoyed a special position, you, my friends cannot be more wrong. All that CRship does is increases the expectations of the teachers from you. With the love hate relationships began this wonderful journey of four years.

Second semester was a total shocker for me. Some computer languages were introduced as subjects and most of the class had already done it in their matriculation. Unfortunately, teachers were also aware of this fact. All I could do is sit in the class dreaming of what if I could stab the teacher. Second sem was also unique in the way that I became a hosteller around that time. Whining over love life of some friends was a daily routine. Somehow I managed to pass that semester too. Yes, I am still proud I cleared something called Data Structures, Deutche and what not.

Second year was altogether different. Things started getting smoother, I was settling down. After spending some 6k bucks in learning C++, I kind of enjoyed classes by then. One important lesson I learnt in that year was, people who know how to make their way around can achieve much more than the ones who work hard. Or at least that is what people believe. Being the CR, I had to visit PL pretty often. That combined with the fact that I was lucky (Nothing else), people thought that I manipulated my teachers for marks, complained against them. I don't care if anyone believes this or not, I did NOT gossip about my fellow classmates with the teachers. After all these years, I find it amusing to even think about it. I also found the actual friends at this time. Some people I will always be in touch with no matter what. Some, who affected my life, changed me for good and a little bad too. 

As I mention the THIRD year, I am sure some of my classmates will have a huge grin on their faces. Third year was something in which I became all together a new boy. With the zeal of exploration of different dimensions of this world I began that year. Undoubtedly, that was the second best time of my life. First was the upcoming semester. It was like having everything that I ever wanted with me. From the point where I was afraid to leave my PG room after 10, I came to a place where I went to the railway station for practically nothing around 1 in the night with one of my friend. It was the time when subjects were no more known to anyone in my group. We now knew how to pass every exam no matter what. For all those who think Engineering is a big gun and is very difficult, I would say, give it a shot. In no time you'll be done with the four years. I made up a theory in third year that I followed by heart. --I won't remember Java, DBMS, OS after some 30 years, but I'll remember that I once told my teacher that I was late in the class because, "Metro ke aage kutta aagya tha"-- So, its all about gathering as many memories as you can in these four years because no matter where you will be after this, these years are never gonna come back.

Fourth year of my college life was the most free time possible here. Only 2 subjects to study and that also with unlimited options of ODs. I still remember that in 8th semester while chit chatting in the class one of my friends said, "its only 1 month till the college is working". That moment was a real eye opener for me. I realised that no matter how much one curses his/her college life, no matter how much they claim they hate it, these golden years just went by. 

Without taking any more time and making it difficult for both of us, I'd like to take a leave with a final note. To all the friends I made here, I love you guys. To all the enemies I made here, I love you guys too. For you hadn't been there, I would have never known myself. 

1 comment: